Constructed in 1903, the structure is similar to other government buildings of the day in Greenspond, Bonavista and Placentia. In addition to the court and jail, the building housed the police constable and his family, the Customs House, the Magistrate’s Office and the Post & Telegraph Office.
In 2010 the Historical Society completed a number of renovations on this building. Some of the renovations included replacing the existing tower roof with a replica of the original (shown below) which had been removed in the late 1940s or early 1950s and the installation of the clock. The original clock facing was salvaged when the tower was removed and placed in storage.
This building is currently home to the Trinity Chocolate Company where they produce their chocolate (Aunt Sarah's) and ice cream products (Sweet Rock). Please visit them online at their websites - https://auntsarahschocolate.ca/ and https://sweetrockicecream.ca/
For additional information on the Court House, Gaol and General Building please visit the Heritage NL website.